What to Expect from Uterine Fibroid Surgery?
Uterine fibroids, also known as myomas, are noncancerous tumours that around 70% of women suffer from at some point in their lives. Doctors generally treat fibroids with medications. They recommend surgery only when the symptoms worsen or persist for a long period. The following write-up specifies how women can prepare for a fibroid surgery in Kolkata. Please check it out now.
Are You the Right Candidate for Uterine Fibroid Surgery?
If your symptoms are severe, you will need a surgery. The most common symptoms of uterine fibroids are heavy menstrual bleeding, pelvic pressure, frequent urination, and painful sexual intercourse.
As most fibroids can be treated without surgery, your doctor will closely monitor the above symptoms for as long as they do not adversely impact the quality of your life.
How Should You Prepare for Uterine Fibroid Surgery?
A doctor will try to shrink the fibroids with alternative treatments for at least three months before relying on surgery. The healthcare team will inform you of the benefits and risks of the surgery and also specify what must you expect during recovery. The below instructions will prepare you for fibroid surgery in Kolkata seamlessly.
- Quit smoking cigarettes six weeks before the surgery.
- Avoid taking blood thinning medications such as aspirin and ibuprofen.
- Ask your doctor when you must stop eating and drinking before the surgery.
- Arrange for house help.
Put on loose clothing on the day of the surgery. Also, ask someone to drive you after the surgery.
- Laparoscopic Myomectomy – This procedure needs a substantial amount of healing time, more than the minimally invasive procedures. You will be able to drive within a week and go back to work in three weeks.
- Hysteroscopic Myomectomy – You can go home a few hours after hysteroscopic myomectomy. This is one of the most common fibroid surgeries. You can return to work and drive your car the next day if you want. However, it is best to take a few days off.
- Abdominal Myomectomy – You must spend at least a night in the hospital after going through abdominal myomectomy. You can drive and go back to your desk job in a few weeks. Wait at least a month to return to strenuous work.
If you have noticed symptoms of fibroids or are planning a treatment for fibroids, please book an appointment with the best specialist in your area. Neglecting the condition can unfortunately cause irreversible complications.