How to Prepare for a Laparoscopic Hysterectomy?
Laparoscopic hysterectomy involves complete removal of the uterus. In a few cases, the fallopian tubes and ovaries are also extracted.
The doctor makes a few incisions in your belly, and inserts a couple of tools. One of the tools is a tube like structure accompanied by a light. It is called laparoscope.
You may return home on the day of the surgery or stay in hospital for a few days post the surgery. You may need approximately six weeks to recover fully. The recovery time can be shorter for some women.
After laparoscopic hysterectomy, you will not be able to conceive. You will also not get periods any longer. To know how to prepare, please go through the rest of the discussion now.
Preparing for Laparoscopic Hysterectomy
According to the experts determining laparoscopic hysterectomy cost, surgery can be quite stressful. Well, the following discussion will help you prepare for the surgery as safely as possible.
- Make sure you have somebody to drive you home. Pain medication and anaesthesia will not allow you to return home on your own. To be safe, you must not drive until you are not taking any kind of medicines.
- Hire extra help at home after the surgery. This is specifically necessary if you live alone or offer care for children, pets, or an elderly person like your parent.
- Understand what laparoscopic hysterectomy surgery entails. You should be completely aware of the benefits, risks, and other related options.
- Do you take any kind of blood thinner such as ibuprofen and aspirin? Well then ask your surgeon if you must stop taking it before the procedure. These medicines after all escalate the risk of excessive bleeding.
- Inform your doctor about all the medicines and other health products you take including any supplements or vitamins. These may elevate complications during surgery. Your doctor will certainly tell if you must stop taking any of these before the procedure and for how long.
- Make sure your hospital and healthcare provider have a copy of your care plan. In case you do not have a care plan, please prepare one immediately.
- Cultivate healthy habits. Exercise as much you can. Maintain a balanced diet. Also, quit tobacco and alcohol.
Get in touch with your doctor if you have query about the procedure or laparoscopic hysterectomy cost. Are you planning on rescheduling? Or have you changed your mind about going through the surgery? Well then inform your doctor too.